Different U.S. Visas for foreign employees

Different U.S. Visas for foreign employees

The United States of America opens vast opportunities for all the people across borders. Its economy is undeniably one of the largest globally, and through the immigrants, it remained sustainable. Hence, foreigners who dream to work and live in the U.S. now have the opportunity to seize it all. But before they become an employee, they must choose among the types of visa that suits their needs. 

Most aliens prefer to apply for the L1 visa, which is a working visa that allows foreign businesses to relocate an employee to a particular affiliate, parent, or branch company in the U.S. If you wish to know more about this type of visa, you can check this out in the L1 visa Guide. Aside from this one, there are still various types which you are free to choose. To help you with this, we plot out some of the different U.S. visas for foreign employees. 

L1 Visa

As stated, the L1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, which allows overseas businesses to transfer their workers to a branch or family company in the U.S. If you are an employer or soon-to-be one, this type of visa may work for you. You don’t have to worry about the benefits you could offer them as this visa is already immense with significant advantages for your workers. However, you have to consider also its two categories: 

        L1-A – The L1-A is for the employees who hold a manager or an executive position. 

        L1-B – This type of L1 visa is for people who have specialized knowledge. 

Student and Exchange Visitors

Students from different countries also have the opportunity to stay and study in the United States. Hence, this type of visa covers three categories: vocational, enrolled in educational or cultural exchange programs, and academics. Academic students studying at accredited academic schools may apply for the F-1 visa; the M visas are available for the learners with vocational or other recognized nonacademic institutions. Lastly, the J visas are for those individuals who belong to the work-and study-based programs. 

Permanent (Immigrant) Workers

Most foreigners wanted to stay and work in the U.S. permanently. Hence, those eligible to acquire a permanent visa can bring their spouses and children with them as part of their benefits. There are different types under this category, including the EB-1, which are for people with extraordinary capacities, such as in the business industry, scientist, artist, etc. Another thing is the EB-2 visa available for professionals with an advanced degree or those with at least ten years of experience in a particular field of expertise. 

Temporary Non-Immigrant Visa

It is a type of visa designed for people who only seek temporary work in the United States. Foreign employees have a fixed period on when they can stay and work. Usually, it is the responsibility of the potential employer to file a petition for this kind of employment with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. However, before the employees can go to the United States, they still need to apply for a visa. 

Some non-immigrant work visas include the H-1B visa, which is for the people with specialized expertise, who have a college degree/higher or have equivalent work experience. H-2A is for seasonal or temporary workers in agriculture. While the H-2B is for the non-agricultural. Another one is the H-3 visa, which is for the people who want training within the borders of the United States. 


Above all, if you are a foreigner and aim to work in the United States, you need to remember that it takes various considerations and requirements before you finally achieve what you want. Hence, to help you lift the burden of finding the correct visa for you, the information above will surely be of great help. When you already found the one suited to your need and passed all the necessary documents,  you may now congratulate yourself for being eligible to work in the U.S.


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *